Often, people ask me about the keto diet
What is the keto diet? And why do nutritionists tag it as a “Slim Fast Keto Diet”?
Let’s explore together!
Overview of Keto Diet
Keto (Ketogenic) diet is also known as a “low carb diet” as in this diet we restrict carbohydrates intake and replace it with fat. So that by lowering the carbs, we put our body into a fat-burning mode called “ketosis”. During this process, our body starts converting stored fat into molecules called ketone bodies and take energy from them. Basically, when you deplete your body from glucose, these ketones serve as the primary source of energy for the body and brain.
Hence, it is known as a slim-fast keto diet because our body burns ketones to get fuel instead of glucose. Due to this, it reduces blood sugar and insulin levels and rich in protein and fats. Therefore, the basic principle of this diet is to follow the following rule.
Types of Slim-Fast Keto Diet
Different types of the slim-fast keto diet are as follows:
1. Standard Keto Diet (SKD)
Being on this particular diet, you take:
- Fewer carbs
- Less medium protein
- High-fat diet
2. Targeted Keto diet (TKD)
While following this type of slim-fast keto diet, you consume enough quick carbs before a workout to give you the extra boost of energy. Having said that, this diet is popular among athletes.
3. Cyclical Keto Diet (CKD)
This diet involves cycle in and out of ketosis. So it involves the spells of higher-carb consumption. For instance, staying on the diet for five days and followed by two high-carb days.
4. High-Protein Keto Diet (HPKD)
This one contains more protein and fats.
Now that we have knowledge about the types of slim fast keto diet, let us have a glance at the dos and don’ts of the food list:
Slim-Fast Ketogenic Diet Food List
- Eggs: Any type of egg such as boiled, fried, omelets, and egg yolks (preferably organic and pastured).
- Healthy oils: Avocado oil, coconut oil, and olive oil.
- Nuts: Hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds, almond butter, and perfect keto nut butter.
- Fatty fish: Salmon, snapper, scallops, tuna, lobster, oysters, halibut, clams, trout, and other seafood.
- Low-sugar fruits: Avocados and fresh raspberries, blueberries, and other berries.
- Seeds: Flax seeds and chia seeds.
- Diary: Blue cheese, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, plain greek yogurt, kefir, and cream cheese.
- Grass-fed meat: Steak, ground beef, goat, chicken, turkey, bacon, ham, organ meats, sausage, and lamb.
- Green vegetables: Lettuce, kale, arugula, bok choy, alfalfa sprouts, and spinach.
- Low-carb vegetables: Cucumber, bell peppers, eggplants, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, onion, cabbage, mushroom, zucchini, and brussels sprouts.
The high carbs food. For instance:
- Sweet treats and Sugar: Chocolates, fruit juices, buns, tarts, cake, ice cream, candies, pies, pudding, custard, etc.
- Beverages: Colas, hot chocolate, ginger ale, grape soda, smoothies, energy drinks (not sugar-free), lemonade, sweetened iced tea, mocha, cocktails, etc.
- Grains: Wheat-based products, cereal, crackers, rice, pasta, bread, pumpernickel, oatmeal, etc,
- Fruits: Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, bananas, peaches, watermelon, mango, pineapple, melon, etc.
- Legumes: Black beans, peas, soybeans, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Starchy veggies: Potatoes, beet, corn, etc.
- Dairy: Most milk, skim milk, creamed cottage cheese fat-free, condensed milk, or low-fat yogurt, etc.
- Unhealthy fats: Canola oil, sesame oil, soybean oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Beer, sweetened alcoholic drinks, sweet wines, etc.
How Much Fat Do You Need to Eat?
Before moving onto the question, know that carbs and fats are the primary sources of energy for our bodies. Therefore, when you are on a keto diet, the consumption of healthy fat should be your top priority. Hence, when you cut carbs, your body starts to burn fat for energy. This means that in keto or low-carb body always get energy from fat. This is exactly why the keto diet is also known as “LCHF” (low carb, high fat).
So exactly how much fat should you eat?
It totally depends on your eating desire. Eat as much as you need to feel satiated, but not overfed. You should eat enough fats as the body will take energy from your fat stores. If you find yourself hungry all the time, it means your body is not getting enough fat.
Ketogenic Diet Benefits
1. Weight Loss
Keto diet leads to weight loss quickly than low-fat diets. Therefore, in a keto diet, your body is turned into a fat-burning machine which can lead to potential weight loss. So you need to eat fewer calories than your body requires to lose weight. 😉
2. Heart Disease
Many studies show that lowering carbs to achieve ketosis may improve heart disease risk. Low levels of insulin can stop your body from making more cholesterol. Which means low chances of high blood pressure and heart failure.
3. Reduced Blood Sugar and Insulin Level:
Low-carb diets can help you to keep your blood sugar lower than other diets. An excellent way to reduce blood sugar and insulin level is to reduce carb consumption.
Studies show that a ketogenic diet is great for managing type 2 diabetes.
Ketogenic diets can effectively lower epileptic seizures. This diet is an effective and medical therapy for epilepsy since the 1920s.
5. Reduce Appetite:
A low-carb diet may reduce your appetite. Studies show that reducing carbs can automatically reduce your appetite and calorie intake.
6. Metabolic Syndrome:
Metabolic syndrome is a collection of symptoms linked to the risk of diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Under the keto diet, these symptoms are nearly eliminated. A keto diet is effective against metabolic syndrome.
7. Lower Blood Pressure:
High blood pressure is an important reason for many other diseases, including heart diseases, kidney failure, and stroke. Reducing carbs leads to a reduction in blood pressure, which minimizes the risk of many common diseases.
Consult a doctor before starting a slim-fast keto diet to ensure the diet is safe. Make sure to eat enough fat, take enough sleep, and drink plenty of water. Eat healthy food. Follow the proper meal plan. Do some anaerobic exercises. Stick to your keto goals. Calculate your daily calorie goal so you can enjoy this diet without any downsides.
BY MARIA MANZOOR