Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
Are you pregnant and suffering from mild symptoms of being thirstier than normal or having to urinate frequently or higher than usual? Hun, it’s time to be vigilant and see your doctor as you may suffer from gestational diabetes. However, don’t get in fluster. Stay calm. If you develop gestational diabetes during pregnancy, it doesn’t imply that you had diabetes before your pregnancy, or you’ll have it thereafter.
It is a type of diabetes that occurs during pregnancy and lasts after giving birth to the baby. Placental hormones usually cause this type of diabetes mellitus. During pregnancy, the blood glucose level rises and there are many reasons behind it.
Actually, during pregnancy, the placenta secretes the hormones, which cause the glucose level to become high in the blood, and obviously, the pancreas secretes insulin for compensation. However, sometimes, when your body cannot produce enough insulin (during pregnancy), blood sugar levels become high and you develop Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM).
But you need not worry about this unless you follow a good gestational diabetes daily meal plan.
GESTATIONAL DIABETES DAILY MEAL PLAN
So, here is a proper one-week gestational diabetes daily meal plan that is going to help you improve your diet and make you fit during pregnancy.
Things to eat
- Take low-fat dairy products
- Try to eat more vegetables (cooked or in the form of salad)
- Basil or chia seeds are also important as they contain fibers.
- Cinnamon tea is also an essential factor in the control of diabetes, so it should be of prime importance in gestational diabetes daily meal plan
- Detox water (having lemon, cucumber, or mint) helps in staying hydrated and thus helps in excreting excess glucose through urine
- Fenugreek also helps in lowering sugar or glucose level
- Unflavored Greek yogurt
- Eat fruits with low GI (Glycemic Index) instead of juices. Low GI fruits are Apples, oranges, strawberries, dried apricots, plums, cherries, pears, peach, grapefruit, coconut, and kiwi.
- Flax seeds help in reducing blood glucose levels.
- Nuts (rich in proteins)
- Black cumin (kalonji) – Take 5 to 7 seeds of black cumin empty stomach as it is confirmed through the Hadith as well :
“There is healing in black cumin for all diseases except death.”
Remember! Whatever you are suffering from, you should take a balanced diet, which includes an adequate amount of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals (in a well-balanced proportion).
BY ARMISH FATIMA